Friday, November 20, 2015

Week 10 Journal: Interview


For this assignment, I chose a student who is a senior in high school. The student says that the school mostly allows cell phones to be allowed, because “they can supposedly help students in some classes”. The student is very doubtful of this, and knows that many students do not follow those rules. Many of them are on social media or texting during classes and in the halls. The student spent a lot of the interview telling me the negative side effects. “They never really pay attention, so it’s annoying when 5 minutes later they interrupt to ask questions we have already covered”. I asked about the technology used in the classroom, and if social media played any role in it. The student looked at me as if I had two heads and said “of course. All the teachers use Facebook and Twitter to remind students of homework assignments and other school stuff”.

One thing that surprised me during this interview was how nonchalantly the teachers let the students use their phones without even telling them to put them away or stop using it. The student said that only a few teachers actually utilize cell phone technology positively; some only allow cell phone usage for educational purposes, like to look up articles or information to use. The student says: “a lot of the teachers don’t enforce the phone rule, and half of the students are on Instagram while everyone else is taking notes”. Another thing that surprised me is the amount of pressure that the student claimed there was because of social media. “If you don’t have a page, or a Twitter account, or a Snapchat, kids at school will think you are weird”. There is a large stigma to keep up appearances, and regularly update their social media profiles.


This interview continues to show me that technology and social media can only be effective when it is implemented correctly in the classroom. Students should not feel a social pressure just to try and fit in, and teachers should enforce social media rules better. If teachers are not using it to further education in the classroom, I, as well as the student I interviewed, do not think it needs to be in a classroom. The student believes it is used as a large distraction, and if it can’t be used for good, it shouldn’t be used. I am only 6 years older than the student, but it seems social media has changed how students see their social lives and school in general. It is becoming a much more social media-centric world, and our students are adapting to it, for better or worse.

2 comments:

  1. I'd argue for worse, Chris. I have been very critical of social media and it's affect on the human experience. I think your interview speaks to the negative impact of social media, and how educators are surrendering to it as a given, and something that cannot be changed. While I don't think my school is as lax as the one you describe, there is still a normalizing effect to being on your phone, whether teacher or student. As we as a society become more complacent with people glued to their phones, and social media, we are see the elimination of what, in my opinion, makes life so interesting: face to face interaction. The all to common image of a group of people at the dinner table, or all sitting together, all on their phone is a reflection of what you've observed, and the direction we are headed. Nothing could be more sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris,

    I was almost in shock to see such a liberal attitude towards cellphones in class. I wonder if the idea is to teach students responsibility. If so, I would love to see the grades of these students. It's good to see the student you interviewed is mindful of how this privilege is abused. I honestly could not imagine using social media to remind students of homework. I prefer them to be separated from academics.

    ReplyDelete